Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Gloria J Zucaro's "Postcard Twist"

5"H x 7"L Original Collage
Click on Photo to enlarge for more detail
$6.00 starting bid on daily Paintworks
http://dailypaintworks.com/buy/auction/70097

This is my entry into Jennifer Mcleans' "Make Me Laugh" challenge over at The Artist Playroom.    http://www.justaddwatersilly.com/search/label/APR.  This one really had me stumped.  So I went to see what some of the examples were, and what a few of the "early bird" artists had already posted.  I couldn't think of anything to paint or draw!  I finally remembered this magnet I had bought years ago that made me smile if not laugh.  So I cut out the "body" of an empty box of raisins for my cardboard support.  It turned out to be 5 x 7, a perfect postcard size!  I then read up on Mod Podge.  I had used it before, but always had trouble with everything I glued getting all wrinkly.  So I bought some Acrylic Sealing spray and sprayed all my little pieces of paper that I had gotten on-line, reduced in size when printing and cut down.  I sprayed them twice, but only on the front.  Maybe I should have done the backs, too, as I still had trouble with some wrinkles.  I was looking for references to the word twisted, because of the above saying about twisted men!  So I got a little tornado man, a "hunk" all twisted up in rope, a contortionist, a little pretzel guy, and a man sniffing a "twist" of lemon.  Whew!  My first collage,who knew it was so involved!   First I glued a photograph of some flowers and a butterfly onto the bare cardboard side of the raisin box.  Then I arranged all the twisted men and my 1940's movie star(whose name I can't remember, so help me out!).  I decided to enlarge the words, so printed them at 150%.  I glued them on.  Next I glued on some torn rice paper in a mint green color.  When that dried, I decided I need to use a Micron pen to enhance the smaller twisted guys as they were kind of dim(hehe) under all that glue!  About a month ago I had ordered through an Amazon seller some mini pots of Twinkling H2O's.  They were cheaper than the regular price.  Well, I opened them tonight and they seem to be all dried up!  I put a bunch of water in the one called "Ice" and crunched it around for a few minutes.  Then I painted it on in a few spots.  It doesn't show up here.  I did take a picture with it catching the light, but it just created a slick "Icy" look so I decided not to show that.  It doesn't twinkle, but it does look like ice!  See the back of my "card" below.  Do you think I can put addresses on the raisin side and mail it?  Or do I need to put it in an envelope so it doesn't get ruined??
This is also my entry for Paint Party Friday.  Happy PPF!   http://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/

19 comments:

  1. yes it did make me laugh, well done Gloria. Thanks for stretching to participate. I've still got to do my entry, I'm a slow poke this week!!
    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny Gloria! A fine 'twist' on the theme - hehe :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) makes me laugh too. If you put a sticker or something on the front, so the address can be seen clearly I am sure it would be okay. I am not a fan of the pale twinkling h20's but I quite like the brighter ones. They are dried though so you do have to add a bit of water and swish it around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL this is oh so neat, love it. Happy PPF, Annette x am still laughing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collage! :) I think you'll need to put it in an envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would put it into an envelope to protect it as it's so good. I thought all men were twisted :) I have the bright H2O's and found that I have to fill the pots with quite a bit of water and leave them for a good 15 minutes and then spray them with a bit more water then mix well and they are nice and strong coloured then.
    Von

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collage/painting, Gloria. You could put a white label on the raisin side and address it that way. However, if your mail is like mine, the other side would be ruined by the time it reached its destination. I'd put it in an envelope even if you had to make the envelope to fit it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloria, about ATCs... I used to be in a swapping group and it seemed that objects could stick over the edge. However, the plastic trading card holders would not allow anything to be sticking out or else the cards wouldn't fit into the slots. I'm pretty sure the purists all stay within the alloted dimensions. In the challenges, though, it seems that is not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You went all out - it sounds like quite a process! I have made only a few (miserable)collage attempts, and I agree - it is complicated and hard! But you did a great job. Love the resourcefulness of the raisin box:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha! I think you were successful in being funny. I love collage. If you're really into it, there are some great books to help you get started. I just bought Randal Plowman's Collage Workbook and like his straightforward approach to collage. Anyway, thanks for sharing your fun piece with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such fun! You could just cover it with clear packing tape (so nothing gets pulled off) and write the address on the raisin side.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Collage is so hard for me - but you nailed it with this one. Well done!! Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that she liked her men with a twist. Hmmm. Nice work! Great collage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Gloria you really are incredibly creative. What a complicated project with amazing results! It's brilliant and so clever.
    I think I'd want to put it into an envelope to protect it though.

    By the way, I too took a peak into the Play Room early on and then couldn't think of a thing that was funny. Everyone else had done such a brilliant job, I nearly didn't enter. So I've decided that next week I'm not going to look until I post ;D
    Have a wonderful weekend whatever you get up to ~ enjoy xoxo
    Neesie (APR)#9

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very fun piece, the quote made me giggle for sure!! Sorry about your h2os...I am still hunting for mine that I put away somewhere. I love that you used the raisin box too! I`m sure it will be loved!! Good job!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, great job! Funny is very difficult to do, you did great! Happy PPF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a great and fun piece! must have been fun to make as well. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very funny, very kinky! I think I saw things you had not really intended. which makes it all the more funny to me, pardon my twisted mind. LOL HPPF on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a message. I so appreciate hearing from you.